For those who remember the old days of Microsoft Flight Simulator when the default airport was Merrill C. Meigs Field, well Orbx FTX have released a new version of the airport for those nostalgic enough to want a copy. The actual airport is no longer active, but for those who used to fly the early MSFS its a blast from the past. Here is an introduction from the product page and an embedded video of the product.
Flight simulation has been intertwined with the legendary Meigs Field for decades. Few airports hold as much nostalgia, familiarity, and emotion for aviation enthusiasts. Located on the coast of Lake Michigan, Meigs Field operated as the gateway to corporate Chicago for over half a century. Now, twelve years after its closure, Merrill C. Meigs Field (KCGX) has been recreated with the utmost attention to detail and accuracy. Depicted as it was in its final years, virtual pilots are welcomed to return to what was once the busiest single strip airport in the United States and enjoy it in high definition. Featuring a fully modeled terminal, highly detailed static aircraft, and other historically accurate elements, the airport has been brought back to life. In addition to the airfield itself, the city of Chicago waterfront and parks district has received a facelift to bring the area up to date. With over a decade of combined experience in flight simulation development, Alex Goff and Tim Harris have developed Meigs Field using latest technology to provide a beautiful and smooth flight simulation experience.
- Ultra detailed rendition of KCGX Meigs Field circa late 90’s and early 2000’s
- Extraordinarily detailed interior model of the terminal
- Many highly detailed Chicago landmarks, including Soldier Field, Cloudgate, Adler Planetarium, Navy Pier and The Shedd
- Custom CBD for Chicago skyline including Sears Tower, Aeon Center, Trump Tower, Hancock Center, and improved “generic” models for many other towers
- Advanced rendering, ambient occlusion and night-lighting
- Ground imagery at 30cm per pixel
- Beautifully modelled static aircraft
- 10m mesh
- Animated people
- Designed to work best with the FTX Global basepack
- By veteran developers Alex Goff and Tim Harris
Source : OrbxFTX